One of my team members asked for my suggestion regarding the task for stress and performance testing of the BizTalk Application that the team had developed for multi-platform data integration across servers. I studied the architecture and by doing some research, I found that Microsoft BizTalk LoadGen 2007 Tool is a nice tool for such a requirement. In this article, let me give a brief background of the tool.
Stress and Performance Testing
Stress testing executes a system in a manner that demands resources in abnormal quantity, frequency, or volume. For example:
- Special tests may be designed that generate ten interrupts per second, when one or two is the average rate.
- Input data rates may be increased by an order of magnitude to determine how input functions will respond.
- Test cases that require maximum memory or other resources are executed.
- Test cases that may cause thrashing in a virtual operating system are designed.
- Test cases that may cause excessive hunting for disk-resident data are created.
Essentially, the tester attempts to break the program. Performance testing is designed to test the run-time performance of software within the context of an integrated system.
Performance tests are often coupled with stress testing and usually require both hardware and software instrumentation. That is, it is often necessary to measure resource utilization (e.g., processor cycles) in an exacting fashion. External instrumentation can monitor execution intervals, log events (e.g., interrupts) as they occur, and sample machine states on a regular basis. By instrumenting a system, the tester can uncover situations that lead to degradation and possible system failure.
Microsoft BizTalk LoadGen 2007
Microsoft BizTalk LoadGen 2007 is a tool that is used to run performance and stress tests.
LoadGen is a simulation tools intended for developers and IT professionals to simulate load on a BizTalk Server. LoadGen generates message transmission loads to run performance and stress tests for BizTalk applications. In other words, this tool helps in determining whether the server can handle the load which it is intended to carry. However, this tool should be used only in a test environment, and should not be used in a production environment.
The LoadGen tool offers the following important features and benefits to provide a simple, generic, reliable, and consistent tool for generating message transmission loads:
- Ease of use
- Straightforward configuration
- Manual or automatic execution
- Flexible data generation
- Auto-throttling and custom throttling support
- Granular control of data flow
- Multiple run duration modes
- Ability to transmit large files
- Centralized control
- Stability and efficiency
- Fault tolerance
- Low resource demand
- Modular architecture
- Dynamic data generation
You can download the tool from here.
For more details, refer to this link.